The ITINEREM project is an initiative that aims to create a Cultural Route of the Council of Europe based on the Mediterranean’s historical rural houses, known as “possessions” in Mallorca. Citizen participation, promotion and sustainable cultural tourism are to be the driving forces behind it.
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) defines sustainable tourism as “Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities”.
In this context, the ITINEREM project is carried out in line with the following principles:
- It is an initiative that is ecologically endurable in the long term, and economically viable and fair from an ethical and social point of view for the local communities.
- Its tourist products and services are included in the natural, cultural and human surroundings, anticipating adequate developments with regard to its impact on natural resources.
- It considers the knock-on effects for the cultural heritage and traditional elements, activities and dynamics of local communities, supporting their identity, culture and interests.
- Its lines of action are solidarity, mutual respect and participation for all agents involved in the process, whether public or private, based on effective cooperation mechanisms at all levels: local, national, regional and international.
- It considers the preservation, protection and addition of value to natural and cultural heritage as a privileged area for cooperation regarding cultural, technological and professional innovation through the creation and development of integrated planning and management tools.
- Its quality criteria are determined together with the local communities while also oriented towards preserving the tourist destination and the tourist’s capacity for satisfaction.
- It is based on the diversity of opportunities offered by the local economy, guaranteeing its full integration and positively contributing to local economic development, having an effective impact on improving the quality of life of the people and influencing the socio-cultural wealth of each destination.